Forgive me. It has been a while since my last confession…
A couple of months ago I had a really bad relapse with my OCD. I think the reason for this was a combination of stopping taking the low dose of my anti-OCD medication (10 mg fluoxetine per day) in a period of extra work-related stress. I stopped taking the medication because I actually felt pretty good and thought that such a low dose couldn’t really do anythinig so I might just as well stop completely. My relapse began about two months after I stopped taking fluoxetine which seems to fit very well with the general picture in the literature.
After some days of deep depression and being totally caught up in OCD I began to do something to get well again. Now I am feeling a lot better. Here is what I am doing now:
– I take 80 mg fluoxetine per day divided in two daily doses (2 * 40 mg)
– I take 2400 mg NAC (N-acetylcysteine) divided in two daily doses (2 * 600 mg)
– I take 100 mg zinc per day divided in two daily doses
– I take three tablets of valerina officinalis before going to bed (3 * 120 mg extract)
(Randomized placebo controlled intervention studies support the use of both NAC, zinc and valerina for OCD)
– I take ginseng and temple tree to counteract the sexual side effects of fluoxetine (it seems to work, especially ginseng is supported by good science)
– I have found a psychologist specialised in cognitive behaviour therapy for OCD (extremely helpful!). In the beginning I was in therapy once a week. Now it is once every two weeks.
– I use my mindfulness techniques (as describes in previous posts)
– Yesterday I began to do more concentration meditation (meditation on the breath) and will continue to do so in the coming period (after suggestion from both my therapist and my meditation teacher)
I feel relatively good now and definitely hopeful.
Thank you for your e-mails and comments and appeals for me beginning to blog again. I’m back. It goes up and down, but I’m back.
I hope you are all OK.